Take Back Your Power. Regain Control of Your Life. PURSUE A BRIGHTER FUTURE

Documents Needed for Bankruptcy

Jan. 8, 2018


  • Chapter 7

    • (non business) $1,465 legal fees + $335 court filing fees = $1,800.

    • A business case is more expensive. Fees and cost normally total $2,750.

  • Chapter 13 ­– $1,000 to get started, balance of fee to be paid in the plan.

Financial Information

  • Pay-stubs for the last 6 months

  • Proof of other income: Food stamps, Welfare, Child Support, Unemployment, Worker's Comp., Social Security, Pension, Disability, Alimony, etc.

  • Income Tax Returns for 2019 and 2020 (unless you did not make enough money to file tax returns, or there is another legal reason that you were not required to file tax returns).

  • 3 months of bank statements for ALL accounts.

    • Copies of your bank statements for the last 3 months, for all bank accounts that have your name on them. This includes joint accounts with your spouse, child, or anyone else. It also includes any account where you have someone else's money being held in an account with your name on it. You need 6 months of bank statements if you have a business.

    • If you haven't had a bank account for the last 3 months, we just indicate that you don't have a bank account, and usually nothing further is required, but you may be asked how you pay bills, and why you haven't had a bank account.

  • Letter from others regarding amount you contribute to the household.

  • Letter from others regarding amount they will contribute to help you make your Chapter 13 payment.

  • Cash surrender value on whole life insurance policy.

  • Name, address, and case number for child support recipient(s).

Real Estate Information – if You Own Real Estate

  • Copy of Deed

    • We need a copy of the DEED for all the properties that you have ownership interest in, whether you own it by yourself or together with others.

    • This includes the house you live in, any investment properties you own, any business properties you own, and any condominiums.

    • This also includes any timeshares you own or have an interest in.

    • This also includes any vacant land that you own or have an interest in.

    • This also includes any homes, properties, land, time shares, condominiums or other property you own in OTHER STATES, and OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES.

  • Mortgage payoff – 2nd mortgage

  • Market Analysis for real estate completed by a realtor.

Rental Information

  • Rental lease.

  • Landlord's name and address.

Vehicle Information

  • If you are making payments on a vehicle, we need:

    • Proof of vehicle payoff on each vehicle that is financed

    • Proof of FULL COVERAGE CAR INSURANCE. Usually the DECLARATION PAGE on your insurance policy provides that information.

    • We also need you to list every vehicle you have any ownership interest in.


  • Copies of all bills: credit cards, utilities, loans, taxes, fines, etc.

  • Driver's license surcharge documents.

  • All court fine information: township, amount, court, etc.

  • Court orders for child support.

  • Documents regarding overpayments: unemployment, welfare, etc.

Other Required Information

  • Credit Counseling Certificate – This is required by law in order to file your case. We suggest you do the least expensive credit counseling course online. When you answer the questions, you can estimate your expenses and bills. You do not need to be exact. You can go to:

    • CC Advising – https://ccadvising.com/ or call (989)402-5161 – $9.76 (per person) and takes about 30 minutes. Available in English and Spanish in written and audio formats. You/your attorney can get your certificate immediately online.

    • Debtorcc, Inc – https://debtorcc.org/pre-filing-bankruptcy-credit-counseling.aspx or call (800)610-3920 – $14.95 (per household) and takes about 30 minutes. Available in English and Spanish written and audio formats. You/your attorney can get your certificate online during normal business hours.

    • Abacus Credit Counseling – www.abacuscc.org or call (800)516-3834 – $25.00 per household online / by phone $35.00 and takes about 60-90 minutes. Certificate can be sent to attorney.

  • Copy of your credit report – this can be obtained at www.annualcreditreport.com

  • Photo ID or Drivers License

  • Social Security Card

Business Documents –if You Have a Business

  • Business questionnaire.

  • 1 year of bank statements for all accounts.

  • 1 year of profit and loss statements.

  • Income tax returns for 2019 and 2020 for business.

  • Proof of valid insurance for business –including E&O, worker's comp, liquor liability business, property insurance, and vehicle insurance.

  • 2015 and 2016 W-2's or 1099's.

  • Proof of paid EE withholding/ payroll taxes and/ or sales and use taxes.

  • Copy of business license and/ or registration.

  • Lease agreement and proof of rent received.

  • Certificate of dissolution from State of New Jersey.

Free Credit Reports

You can go online for a free credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com

The following information sets forth how you can contact 3 Credit Bureaus:


P.O. Box 2104

Allen, Texas 75013-2104


TransUnion Corporation

P.O. Box 2000

Chester, Pennsylvania 19022-2000



P.O. Box 105783

Atlanta, Georgia 30348